About the Authors: Jared B. Standish & John C. Willard

JARED BUTLER STANDISH (1866-1961) was a nationally known wood engraver and student of early Connecticut history.  With Mrs. Standish he was instrumental in reorganizing the Wethersfield Village Improvement Society (later Wethersfield Park Board) and contributed to the development of recreational areas in the town and was active in the acquisition of the Mill Woods property […]

The Wethersfield Elms

The following article, written by John C. Willard in December 1968, is from the archives of Wethersfield Historical Society. Not many years ago the presence of great cathedral arches of greenery along New England streets in towns and even cities was as common and as distinctive a feature as white painted houses and white church […]

Story of the "Great Elm" (1750-1950)

The following article, written by Jared B. Standish in 1959, is from the archives of Wethersfield Historical Society. According to a memoranda book kept by James Smith, father of the present occupant of the premises abutting, Mr. Charles H. Smith states that John Smith, an uncle who died in 1818, aged 72, pulled it up […]